Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Easter Remembrances

As Easter approaches, I find myself turning my thoughts towards past Easters.  I think a lot about my mother.  She always made holidays special for me.  It was tradition that I always got a new purse for Easter.  I remember two purses in particular; one my mother made herself.  It was white crochet with a pineapple design.  The purse slipped over an oatmeal box bottom.  The other purse was a mother-of-pearl, oval-shaped one.  I loved that purse.  I still have the home-made purse and hope to pass it down to a granddaughter one day.

My mom also left behind another special Easter trinket that I enjoy every year, a bunny-covered trinket box.  Back in the seventies, my mom started a new hobby, ceramics.  She made two bunnies that she gave to each of her girls.  Mom didn't know how special those little bunny boxes would be to my sister and me.

Mom always made wonderful lunches with delectable desserts for our holiday gatherings.  At Easter, she always found time between preparing dishes to dye eggs with us kids.  I always thought the different pastel colors were always so pretty.  I still like to carry on the egg-dying tradition in my home, although my kids are long past the child-stage.  All these traditions are just part of the holiday for me.

But the most important tradition that my mother left behind for me is the knowledge of what Easter is really all about.  I wouldn't be much of a Christian if I didn't share my faith just a little bit on this most Holy holiday.  Easter is the ultimate hope of all Christians.  Because Jesus shed his blood for one and all on that old rugged cross at Calvary, anyone who calls upon his name and ask him to save them from an eternity of being separated from Christ and goodness, shall be saved.  John 3:16 states that God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

It's not that he just died, but the fact that he rose again from that tomb.  When Christ came out of that grave, he made salvation possible for all who desire it.  It is my prayer that all who reads this blog knows Jesus as their personal saviour, but if you don't and would like to discuss anything with me, please contact me.

Easter Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment