Sunday, April 3, 2011

Blessings

Today was a beautiful day and ending to a wonderful weekend.  Growing up, I attended a simple little rural church.  I have a picture of that little church etched into my mind: pine pews, red carpet, an old upright piano, and the most beautiful portrait of John the Baptist baptizing Jesus in the Jordan River.  We would sing an old hymn at that church called 'Count Your Blessings', name them one by one; count your many blessings, see what God hath done. 

It is easy to get in touch with one's blessings when enjoying the beauty of nature, family and friends.  Oprah came up with a saying a few years back: Gratitude.  She encouraged her followers to keep gratitude journals.  It caught on like wildfire.  But I knew that someone long before Oprah's time had already came up with affirming one's blessings and simply naming them 1 by 1...but I do like Oprah's idea of keeping a written record of gratitude.  But being a lover of words and stories, why wouldn't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment