Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Blizzard of 2011 (Feb.1)

      Well, I got a snow day, which meant a day home from school today.  I must admit that I had trouble sleeping last night, wondering if we would really get the inclement weather that our meteorologists were all predicting for us.  The weatherman had said that we may have 'blizzard' conditions.  This was to be the worst snow storm since the early 1900s.  I was up at 2:00 am looking out my window to see any signs of snow.  To my dismay, I didn't see as much as a good frost.  But, the sleet and snow did come sometime afterwards, as I was awaken to a 'wintry mix'.

       However, I was disappointed that we never got the 'blizzard conditions' that I had conjured up in my head.  I had images of blinding snow and howling wind.  The term 'blizzard' makes me think of the
story that I read as a child from the "Little House" series, where Laura had to walk home from school in the blizzard.  At home, they had to use a rope to get from the house to the barn so they wouldn't lose their way.  Ma even slapped a bear, thinking she was slapping the ole' milk cow because the visibility was so poor.  Then there was the time Mr. Edwards braved the weather to make sure Santa came to the prairie.  These were my connotations of blizzard.

       Adding to my disappointment, I didn't remember to set out pans to catch fresh snow until late in the day.  Because we did not get that blizzard, I also didn't get my snow cream!  There wasn't enough snow in that pan to make a good snowball!  But, the good news is maybe I will get another chance in a few days; the forecast is snow again by early next week.


How to Make Snow Cream:

1.  Set out a large pan to catch fresh snow (put the pan high, you don't want any yellow snow!)
2.  Add enough cream (evaporated milk) to the consistency of slush
3.  Add sugar to taste and a teaspoon of vanilla

       If all this blizzard talk has sparked your interest, you may want to search out the blizzards of:       
                          1.  DeSmet, South Dakota; 1880-81
                          2.  Pioneer Blizzard;  Jan.10, 1873
                          3.  Children's Blizzard; Jan.12, 1888
                          4.  Super Bowl Blizzard; Jan.10, 1975 (where parts of Minnesota got 20 inches of snow
                               with wind gusts of over 70 mph)
                          5.  3 Day Blizzard; Jan.9-11 in 1997




     

No comments:

Post a Comment